A 39-year-old woman in Nain faces multiple charges after an ATV struck a child on a bicycle.
The RCMP say it happened on Sunday afternoon. The ATV was moving at a high speed when it struck the child on a residential street. The ATV rider fled the scene before police arrived. The child was not physically injured.
Frances Jararuse, who was prohibited from driving, was located and arrested a short time later by Nain RCMP. Police say Jararuse provided them with a false name. At the detachment, she provided breath samples that were three times the legal limit.
Jararuse was held for court and is charged with the following criminal offences:
· Impaired operation of a motor vehicle
· Impaired operation with a blood alcohol concentration over 80 mg%
· Driving while prohibited
· Failing to stop at the scene of a collision
· Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle
· Obstructing a peace officer
Jararuse was due to appear in court on Tuesday.