Recent News

Recent News

5 months ago
News

Eight people to be invested into the Order of Newfoundland and Labrador

An investiture ceremony on Jan. 27 at Government House will see eight people named to the Order of Newfoundland and Labrador. This will be the 18th investiture ceremony since the first appointments were made in 2004, bringing the total number of recipients to 159. This year’s recipients and the categories in which they are being […]

Read more
5 months ago
News

Province issues Request for Proposals for additional swing vessel

The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure has issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to secure an additional swing vessel to provide relief on provincial ferry routes serving Fogo Island-Change Islands and Bell Island. Swing vessels play a critical role in maintaining service when regularly assigned ferries are out of operation for maintenance, repairs or refits. […]

Read more
5 months ago
News

Province adopts traditional approach to Highway Twinning Project

The provincial government says it will use a traditional procurement approach for twinning two sections of the Trans-Canada Highway (TCH). Last August, a request for proposals (RFP) was issued for a public-private partnership (P3) model covering design, construction, financing, and maintenance. That RFP has now been cancelled. Instead, qualified companies will be invited to bid […]

Read more
5 months ago
News

Medical community mourns loss of Dr. Falah Maroun

Condolences are pouring in following the passing of Dr. Falah Maroun, a neurosurgery pioneer and skilled physician who practiced in the province for decades. Dr. Maroun was born in Beit-Meri, Lebanon in 1935 and found himself in St. John’s, NL when he came, having graduated from the Neurological Institute in Montreal, to do a locum […]

Read more
5 months ago
News

Construction work for replacement of Quidi Vidi Slipway scheduled to begin early 2026

Construction work for the replacement of the Quidi Vidi Slipway is scheduled to begin early in the new year. It’s one of the city’s most iconic waterfront structures. Earlier this year, after residents rallied to save the site, the city committed to rebuilding the slipway. Now the city says in preparation for construction the contractor […]

Read more
5 months ago
News

More Than $70,000 in food and cash donated at the Downtown St. John’s Christmas Parade

The final results are in – 10,767 pounds of food, valued at $39,192, along with $6,554 in cash donations, were gathered from parade-goers. Combined with Newfoundland Power’s donation of $25,000, the total value of this year’s contributions is an impressive $70,746. A record number of Newfoundland Power employees, retirees, and their families volunteered along the […]

Read more
5 months ago
News

Man charged with impaired driving following three-vehicle crash late Friday night

A man is facing impaired driving charges following a three-vehicle crash in Portugal Cove-St. Philips on Friday night. Shortly before 10:00 p.m. emergency crews responded to a collision involving three vehicles on Portugal Cove Road. Responding officers had reason to believe one of the drivers involved was impaired by alcohol. As a result, the individual […]

Read more
5 months ago
News

Driver taken to hospital following single-vehicle crash on Saturday afternoon

The driver of an SUV was taken to hospital after crashing into a tree in downtown St. John’s on Saturday afternoon. At about 1:30 p.m. emergency crews responded to the intersection of King’s Bridge Road and Forest Road. The driver of an SUV had crashed into a tree, causing extensive damage to the front of […]

Read more
5 months ago
Justice, News

Burin Peninsula RCMP asking for assistance locating Cindy Inkpen

Burin Peninsula RCMP is seeking the public’s assistance in locating 59-year-old Cindy Inkpen. She was last seen around 2:00 p.m. today, Friday, Dec. 19, in the Marystown area. She was driving a 2015 4-door Toyota Corolla, dark blue in colour and with NL license plate HZN 025. Police and her family are concerned for her […]

Read more
5 months ago
News

Canada Post says Santa’s letters are getting through

According to Canada Post, millions of little Canadians who write to Santa with their wish lists will get a response this year. A month-long strike by over 50,000 postal workers last year meant Santa couldn’t respond to letters, but don’t worry kids, Santa is reading every one. Canada Post spokesman Phil Legault says more than […]

Read more
Back to top