Working smoke alarm and quick-acting homeowner saves home from significant damage

Posted: October 1, 2023 10:50 pm
By Earl Noble

A working smoke alarm and a quick-acting homeowner are being credited with saving a downtown home from significant damage on Sunday afternoon.

Shortly after 5:30 p.m. firefighters were called to a home on Leslie Street to reports of a fire in a kitchen. Dean Foley, Platoon Chief with the St. John’s Regional Fire Department stated the homeowner, who was in the upstairs unit of the home, heard the smoke alarm sounding in the basement apartment. Upon investigation of the alarm they found fire in the kitchen, which had spread to the wall and cabinets.

The homeowner called 911, then used water to douse the flames. Firefighters arrived and prepared to fight the fire, however the fire had been extinguished by the homeowner. Crews used fans to clear smoke from both units. The kitchen sustained moderate smoke and water damage.

With Fire Prevention Week approaching, Foley reiterated the importance of having working smoke alarms in the home, siting this incident as a perfect example of their benefit. Without a working smoke alarm, this fire would have been significantly worse.

play-sharp-fill

Scroll to top Hide picture