The delays caused by last week’s protests will have a significant impact on the final cost of the Muskrat Falls project, Nalcor CEO Stan Marshall said Tuesday. Some aspects of the project will have to be delayed until next summer, and the full cost and schedule now won’t be known until the middle of next year. NTV’s Michael Connors reports.
Marshall says he needs an answer from indigenous groups on flooding the Muskrat Falls reservoir this week because flooding must start next weekend.
The premier’s office issued a statement later in the day in response to Marshall’s comments.
“The provincial government stands behind the commitment that was made last week in partnership with the Innu Nation, the Nunatsiavut Government and the NunatuKavut Community Council,” the statement said.
“Nalcor has been directed to not increase the water level at Muskrat Falls until all indigenous leaders have reviewed the engineering reports provided. The indigenous leaders have committed to providing government with their assessment of the engineering reports on Friday, November 4, 2016.”