CUPE will return to contract talks with the provincial government next week.
The union and Finance Minister Tom Osborne both confirmed the news on Thursday. Talks broke off last month when the two sides hit an impasse over the proposed no-layoff clause.
CUPE has said it accepts the no-layoff clause, but it’s opposed to a sidebar letter that was signed by NAPE. CUPE has argued the sidebar letter would extinguish all the language in their contract when it expires, not just the no-layoff clause. Osborne has said the government is asking CUPE for no more and no less than what NAPE signed.
CUPE would not comment any further now that it is returning to the bargaining table. Osborne said he is hopeful that both sides can work out their differences.